Church and Franciscan Monastery - Cluj-Napoca - details and images
Roman Catholic Church and Franciscan Monastery of Cluj-Napoca is one of the oldest and most significant buildings in the city. Originally, this place was the oldest Roman Catholic church, first in Cluj, built in XI-XII centuries, but destroyed during the first invasion of the Tatars (1241). After its destruction, its place was built in 1260-1290 during a late Romanesque church, rebuilt in the fifteenth century Gothic style.
The church was enlarged (Gothic works) and a monastery was built near it, with the assistance of Prince John of Dubai, the Dominican complex returns. With the expulsion of the Protestant Catholic religious orders in March 1556, the monastery building was not used for religious purpose. Until 1557 the building housing the queen of Hungary, Izabella, after which the dwelling has been transformed into school (Unitarian 1558). Since 1609, the desire of Prince Gabriel Bathory, the building was donated to the cult-Calvinist Reformed. With 1728 the Franciscans, back in town, starts a campaign to restore and build the church tower, which is the main component of the Baroque.
The whole monastery-church is located on three sides around an interior courtyard that opens to the foişoarelor broken arches. Rooms housing the monastic cells, library rooms, dormitories, administrative facilities. Here is a famous school, who taught the Mirabilibus Nicolaus, later became a professor at the University of Florence.
Inside the monastery is a famous library of the Franciscans, a collection in excess of one thousand volumes. During the years 1906-1948 in the monastery of St. Bonaventure printing function, which has published various magazines religious (Catholic, Holy Cross ...).
Above the entrance to the shrine is the statue of the Virgin Mary (see photo), protector of the church. On the frontispiece are two works by sculptor Johannes located Nachtigall: St. Francis statue and the statue of St. Anthony.
Inside you can admire the pulpit, another work of Johannes Nachtigall. The pulpit was decorated with a depiction of Jesus surrounded by the four evangelists. The crown is depicted ascending to heaven pulpit of the Saviour, and the main altar is a reproduction made in 1730 after a painting of the church of Santa Maria Maggiore, in Rome, which represents the St. Mary's.
On the south side of the church are three chapels, each with different personalities buried underneath. The east has been governor for Sigismund Kornis family (who donated the church a representation of the crucified Saviour), whose author is unknown. The other two were named St. Stephen's Chapel, St. Joseph respectively.
Since 1898, the church is located in Carolina Obelisk, after moving to Union Square.
The recent restoration of the building were conducted during 1976-1978, followed by others in 1980-1986. On these occasions have been rediscovered a number of elements of the Gothic abode.
In 1949 Franciscan abode was confiscated after the Communist authorities have decided to dissolve the Franciscan order in Romania and the monastery building housed the School of Music, later Sigismund Toduţă School of Music, which exists today. In 1990 he returned to church ownership Roman Catholic Franciscan order, together with some of the old monastery.
If you think that the photos or text published in this page infringes copyright laws please notify us using the Contact Page specifying the page url and the content that infringes copyright. Direct Booking uses third party materials and cannot control or verify the origin of the content. Direct Booking will remove any infringing copyright materials from its website and will inform the infringed party about doing so.