Tismana Monastery - details and images
In a charming landscape, like a castle with towers at the corners, Tismana monastery sits on top of the cliff on Mount Stârmina, surrounded by forests and rocky hills near the mouth of the Cave of St. Nicodemus dark and under whose walls gushing water , rolling down the waterfall, with a drop of about 40 m into the river Tismana.
Tismana Monastery is the oldest monastic establishment of the Romanian country still in operation and was founded by St. Nicodemus.
Tismana Monastery Church was consecrated on 15 August 1378 dedicated to the Assumption, which strengthened Dan I voivode charter documentary from 1385, October 3, which is kept today. It is built in Byzantine style triconic plan with very thick stone walls with three towers on the nave, narthex and porch and is supported by buttresses and a porch that surrounds part of the narthex and nave.
Over time, due to the repeated persecutions of the pagans of our country, the Monastery Tismana has undergone several destruction and transformation, many renovations and gifts from the rulers of Bessarabia and wealthy landowners, the monastery was founded by the prince in a powerful strategic place. In 1520 Prince Neagoe covered the church with lead, in 1541 Prince Radu Paisie made frames and doors of the big church, Matei Basarab made the small church, a monastic hospital (1650),and gave a big bell, the great ban of Craiova Cornea Brăiloiu restored the priests cells and also made large donations to the monastery, Lady Stanca Glogoveanu restored the painting (1733 and 1766) and the church doors (1782). Significant donations and religious objects made Constantin Brancoveanu.
At first the church was painted in one color of ocher, with geometrical and floral. First iconographic painting was executed only in the sixteenth century (1564) by painter Dobromir of Targoviste. This plant is painting colors on the walls of the church today as the oldest Byzantine painting preserved in the Romanian Country.
Monastery Museum has a rich collection of mural paintings (from the narthex, the painting in 1766), old wooden icons, religious objects, books, clothes, old doors of the church (1782) and others. The church has a silver coffin, made by artist George Stoica Bucharest in 1980, which contains three bits of Holy Relics: from St. Nicodemus the index finger of his right hand and lead you cross a bear in the neck, the St. Ignatius and St. John Chrysostom.
If you think that the photos or text published in this page infringes copyright laws please notify us using the Contact Page specifying the page url and the content that infringes copyright. Direct Booking uses third party materials and cannot control or verify the origin of the content. Direct Booking will remove any infringing copyright materials from its website and will inform the infringed party about doing so.