Agora - details and images
The place was captured without interruption in all periods in the history of the city. It was used as a residential area late Neolithic era (since 3000 BC). At the beginning of XI century, the Agora became a public area.
Following repairs and restorations, reached rectangular shape of the second century BC century repairs were made following attacks by the Persians in 480 BC, the Romans in 89 BC and the Slavs in 580 AD. Since the Byzantine period and until 1834, when Athens became the capital of independent Greece, the Agora was again developed as residential area.
The first excavations took place between 1859-1912 and were organized by the Greek Archaeological Society. In 1931, American School of Classical Studies began excavations with the financial support of J. Rockefeller and finished in 1941. For these excavations to take place were demolished around 400 modern buildings covering a surface of 12 hectares.
In the nineteenth century, were restored Greek Archaeological Society, the four statues on the facade of giants and Triton gymnasium.
Agora can be visited daily between 08.30-19.30 hours Monday when it's less open between 11:00 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. (closed on January 1st, March 25, Easter Sunday, May 1 and December 25.26)
Agora entrance fee is 4 € for adults and 2 € for students and children
Address: In the northwest of the Acropolis
Along the streets of Plaka and Monastiraki
Metro: Line 2 (station Akropoli)
If you think that the photos or text published in this page infringes copyright laws please notify us using the Contact Page specifying the page url and the content that infringes copyright. Direct Booking uses third party materials and cannot control or verify the origin of the content. Direct Booking will remove any infringing copyright materials from its website and will inform the infringed party about doing so.