Ascension Orthodox Cathedral - Targu Mures - details and images
The cornerstone was laid on May 10, 1925 among the witnesses at the event were Minister of Religious Affairs found, Lapedatu Alexander, Bishop Nicholas Ivan and Goga as minister. The consecration of the cathedral took place on 2 December 1934, is also a symbol signifying the Romanian troops entered the city of Targu Mures in 1918.
The church was built after the plans of the architect Victor Vlad Politehnica Timisoara in the form of the Greek cross with equal arms. Construction iconostasis was made in 1934 by Trajan Bobletec of painter and painted Nazna Virgil Simionescu Lugoj.
Due to lack of funds, completion of the painting took place from 1970 to 1986.
Narthex walls have images of saints Metropolitans of Transylvania in the seventeenth century, Elijah and Savannah Iorest Brancovici, framed medallions containing images of 12 major Orthodox churches in Transylvania.
Central has a stained glass dome depicting Christ blessing.
Presents an impressive altar apse mosaic depicting a 12.30 m high Virgin Mary with Child.
Cathedral bells were processed in Timisoara.
The total cost of the building was estimated at 20 million in the interwar period.
If you think that the photos or text published in this page infringes copyright laws please notify us using the Contact Page specifying the page url and the content that infringes copyright. Direct Booking uses third party materials and cannot control or verify the origin of the content. Direct Booking will remove any infringing copyright materials from its website and will inform the infringed party about doing so.