Carol Park Mausoleum - details and images
Carol Park Mausoleum, called the Monument of Heroes during the communist regime and the struggle for freedom the people of the country, for socialism, is a monument located in Carol Park, Bucharest's Sector 4, Filaret Hill. The monument is built on the plateau that dominates the Freedom Park, where you are the Palace of Arts, later transformed into the Military Museum and its waterfall.
In 1923, before the Palace of Fine Arts (which housed the Military Museum) was placed the Unknown Soldier, which was to become a national place of pilgrimage and of silence in memory of the 225,000 Romanian who sacrificed themselves for the completion of the Nation. The monument was inaugurated on 17 May 1923, in the presence of the royal family, members of government, legislative bodies and a large audience. All memorial purposes, the circular museum hall of honor was seated a group of statues depicting King Ferdinand I of Romania under the auspices of the goddess Victoria, and the walls were engraved names of officers killed in the war.
As the National Military Palace Museum was severely damaged by fire in 1938 and the earthquake in 1940, it was demolished in 1943 for his place to arrange a memorial complex - Heroes Cemetery - which would include: Heroes Monument, Military Museum, the cemetery itself and administrative buildings. In the autumn of 1944 the works were suspended and left leaving the yard.
Project in the years 1942-1943, even supervised by Marshall Ion Antonescu, was proposed by Professor Alexander Tzigara-Samurcaş (who designed the building for the Romanian Peasant Museum) and the triumphal monument visa rebuild "Tropaeum Traiani Adamclisi.
The existing mausoleum Carol Park, with a height of 48 meters, was built during 1959-1963, the plans architects Maicu Horia Nicolae Cucu, and was inaugurated on 30 December 1963, on location, infrastructure, and good hand, the plans during the Memorial started the Second World War.  To achieve this, the Unknown Soldier was removed on the night of 22 to 23 December 1958 and was moved to the mausoleum of Mărăşeşti.
If you think that the photos or text published in this page infringes copyright laws please notify us using the Contact Page specifying the page url and the content that infringes copyright. Direct Booking uses third party materials and cannot control or verify the origin of the content. Direct Booking will remove any infringing copyright materials from its website and will inform the infringed party about doing so.