Castelo de Sao Jorge (St. George Castle) - details and images

The castle served as a Moorish royal residence until Portugal's first king, Afonso Henriques conquered in 1147 with the help of fighters from northern Europe who were on their way to the Holy Land to attend the crusade. It was therefore dedicated to St. George, patron saint of England, so to commemorate and Anglo-Portuguese pact since 1371. Castle became a royal residence until another was built in today's Comercio Square. The last royal residence was destroyed by the Great Earthquake that destroyed almost the entire Lisbon.

Nowadays, Sao Jorge Castle is an oasis of tranquility and peace, but at the entrance there is a statue of King Afonso Henriques and a few guns that recall the original purpose of the castle. Alcáçovas Palace, where medieval kings lived, there remained only a stone building that houses today a restaurant and an exhibition about the history of Lisbon called Olissiponia. Multimedia show of this exhibition is held in three rooms underground. In one of these rooms, Vasco da Gama was received by King Manuel. The exhibition includes a simulation of the devastating earthquake of 1755 which is exemplified in the demolition of Carmo church and tsunami that hit the port of Lisbon.

Much of the castle were destroyed over the years, especially in the earthquake, but can still see a lot of defensive walls and 18 towers. Tourists can climb the towers and defensive walls can walk to admire the most beautiful views in Lisbon. Castle is also a perfect place for relaxation, its gardens are full of peacocks, geese and ducks to create a soothing atmosphere. In the tower there's Ulysses "Camara Escura" a periscope that project objectives and attractions throughout the city.

Address: Alfama - can be seen from almost any point in town.

Transportation: climb the Alfama or bus 37.

Hours: 9 am-9 pm (enlarged - October), 9 am - 6 pm (November-February)

Information source