Clock Tower - Sighisoara Citadel - details and images
This is one of the most expressive monuments of military architecture in Transylvania, but also the undisputed symbol of medieval and premodern authority. Inception dates from the thirteenth century, and during this century and the next one will be wearing a simple tower, Maxine raised two levels.
The roof, restored in 1677, he was burned in the fires of the previous year, a true baroque jewel, is the work of three craftsmen who arrived on the lands of Sighisoara, Veit Gruber namely Tyrol, Salzburg and Bong Philip Auslander Valentinius carpenter.
After replacing the old wooden clock mechanism with one another more advanced and based solely on metal, there is a change in the authorities time to introduce a new perception of time, an exact time and fragmented. Since then the clock indicates the minutes. The sound signal, today announcing the hours flow was also improved, clapping and quarter hour.
Near the two quadrants of the Clock, one is facing the Lower Town and the other to the city, two groups staged Jhonn Kirschel carved wooden statues, driven by the clock mechanism at certain times. Near the city square they are arranged in three registers. In register first two figures represent Justice and Righteousness. In symbolic terms, they warned, as is the roof of the four towers that City counsel receive judicial autonomy, thus able to apply the death penalty.
See figure in the niche open day underway. When the clock announces the beginning of the 12 strokes of a coppersmith new day, beating the sixth disc is spinning, the god appeared the next day for the next 24 hours in Nice. Next coppersmith from Lower Town is a figure representing a desperate man, sentenced to death. This figure, reminded residents of the Lower Town, as well as those who climb to the city "right of sword", the princes of Sighisoara right to impose capital punishment.
In the second register are two small niches. On the left, from 6 am to show a figure, announcing the beginning of her working day craftsmen. At 4 o'clock in the afternoon to withdraw first figure out the right niche and another figure, with two candles in hand. She announced the cessation of work, but the arrival of the evening.
In the third register is a brazier which indicates by beating the cauldron that is in front, draining hours. Next he sees another figure representing peace.
The 1899 Clock Tower rooms have been designed city history museum, the only museum in the country that plays in the development and preservation crafts, implicitly, from Transylvania.
If you think that the photos or text published in this page infringes copyright laws please notify us using the Contact Page specifying the page url and the content that infringes copyright. Direct Booking uses third party materials and cannot control or verify the origin of the content. Direct Booking will remove any infringing copyright materials from its website and will inform the infringed party about doing so.