Cornetu Monastery - Brezoi - details and images

Cornetu Monastery is a monastery in Romania Brezoi located in the town, city Calinesti component, Valcea county. Former monastery of Monks, nuns monastery now dedicated" Beheading of St. John the Baptist" Romanian architectural monument of the XVII century Tara N. Ghika-Budesti which said that the most interesting is the plan and the most picturesque time, as the architecture outside.

Hermitage is the foundation of the great magistrate Bajescu Mares, great feudal Cantacuzinos close. Choosing to do carefully because, on one hand was near his land on the other hand, because the position was at that time, the viewers eye away from the path, but near the border with Transylvania, thus providing an ideal retreat for founder and his family in times of distress that had to live. According to the original inscriptions, carved in stone Albesti, shows that the date for completing work on August 29 1666, during the reign of Radu Leon. Interestingly, the inscription is what makes some of Stan Bajesti priest at the monastery Aninoasa sign and inscription, 11 years later, and the text of a stone crosses Budeasa. Even before the work is finished at the church, Mares Bajescu by a document dated 15 March 1666, the village hermitage endows Copaceni Cornetu mountains and Sasa (bought with any one month before the donation) and ocini hastily, Titesti , Island.

In 1761, during the reign of Constantine Mavrocordat, one captain Alecse Lovište put za to rebuild the altar painting by painters Michael Radu Iordache and as a result of another inscription located in the southeast corner of the nave.

Another important moment in history is the hermitage of the 1808 fire which almost completely destroyed the church and monks' cells, a time monastic life is interrupted. Only in 1835 the new abbot Irimah to restore the buildings and make the mural. During 1864-1949 the church is administered by Eforia Civil Hospital in Bucharest in 1885 that financed construction of oak iconostasis, a year later and icons painted on wood oil. Also the owner of the institution in cooperation with the Department hermitage Monuments dome tower rebuilt between 1923-1925 and demolished the shrine altilerie shells during fighting in 1916. In 1898, when digging the tunnel under the walls of the enclosure of the monastery, the Railways Department demolish part of the old wall and inside the cells annexes it to the current building. Inside the original can be admired today turret, tower and walls on the north and east sides.

The last major renovation in 1960 are under the patronage of National Monuments, with this opportunity mural is restored. Architectural ensemble consists of a square stone chamber that is situated cells. On three corners of the polygonal enclosure rise towers, and at the southeast corner of a patio. Enclosure is in the middle of the church, only the fact that preserves its original shape.

Built on a three-cusped plan with a bell tower with eight sides in the narthex (the access is a ladder located on the northern side) and ten-sided tower Patocratorului situated on narrow windows. Brick wall is plaster panels placed horizontally and is divided by a double belt of rounded brick that surrounds the western niche on the facade of the church icon.

The cornice is made of brick-shaped teeth disposed blades, beneath a row of buttons and a frieze of glazed tiles framed by bricks set on edge. The base is made of boulders is prominent mountain in the brick boxes. The interior is representative of traditional churches, the wall that separates the nave from the narthex full. Mural painting of the nave is done in fresco technique in the eighteenth century and the nineteenth century of the church is. Unfortunately no longer keep anything from the original painting.

Information source