Covered Staircase - Sighisoara - details and images

Covered staircase is located in the southern end of School Street. It was built in 1654, during Mayor J. Both. In its original form, as described, it would have had 300 steps and covered with shingles.

Amended in 1842, it now benefiting from the masonry foundation and the structure also undergoes changes stairs. Number of steps is reduced to 178, but the platform areas occur between them. It retains a largely influences the appearance of traditional architecture with its rural Saxon.

Information source