Fortified Church Cisnadioara - details and images
In a mountain village with Saxon households, the sun leaves its lights and shadows over the remains of century XIII. Cisnadioara its fortified church and write a page of history older than the hearth saseasa settlement.
On a rocky mountain top, the Saxons built the first church in the Romanesque style in Transylvania. Mount christened it with his name and has preserved it.
Short basilica with three naves Cisnadioara fortified church is one of the oldest and most representative monuments of the Romanesque style in Transylvania. It was built of stone between 1162 and 1223 and consists of nave, two side aisles, choir and apse.
Originally designed and build two towers, which were not executed. In the second half of the thirteenth century, the church was added to a portal framed by Romanesque arches, the western facade coating is planned, and perhaps other fronts, arcades, a work that also has not been enforced. The plaques are placed inside the abode of the names of officers and German and Austro-Hungarian soldiers who fell in the autumn of 1916 in fighting around Sibiu. Funeral cards have been displaced from Guşteriţa cemetery in 1940.
As with any basilica, nave is higher than the second side, which is separated by a single pair of square pillars supporting the twin arches in the center. It is lighted by narrow windows, semicircular. The vessel is covered with an apparent framing, and the two lateral semicircular arches. The two ends absidiole which are covered by collateral east semicalote.
Square of the basilica choir is vaulted with broken arches and the main apse, semicircular, with a semicalota. In the south wall of the choir is a door, now built, which are traces of wall painting. The church altar was removed, but still keeps its central niche carved fragment, dating from 1425, which depicts the Virgin Mary and who today is the Brukenthal. In many parts of the church were painted consecration crosses.
Plateau which is built basilica was surrounded by an enclosure with walls of stone, with a height between 4 and 6 meters to the outside and 2 to 3 feet inside. The wall around the church, featuring a tower inside the south gate was erected at the beginning of the XIII century with battlements and watch road built.
It is situated in the village center, communicating with the main street in the south. In the north of the courtyard stands a monument dedicated to soldiers fallen in World War I and a fountain. The monument was erected on the site of a former Gothic church in the old building being preserved tower (western side). The new evangelical church was completed in 1764, in baroque style.
Shrine houses the oldest pipe organ functional in Transylvania 1723, the oldest non-functional organ is in the Evangelical Church in Sibiu. The instrument was restored and modernized, making the air supply through an electrical ventilation system. There is only one manual (keyboard for hand) and a bracket comprising two octaves; registers are twelve in number.
If you think that the photos or text published in this page infringes copyright laws please notify us using the Contact Page specifying the page url and the content that infringes copyright. Direct Booking uses third party materials and cannot control or verify the origin of the content. Direct Booking will remove any infringing copyright materials from its website and will inform the infringed party about doing so.