Gellert Hill and Citadel - details and images
Gellert Hill is a large rock, high rises 140 meters above the Danube in Buda. According to legend, witches came to the hill every night and went back a man. Gellert Hill and was named after one of Bishop Gellert Hungary who came from Italy at the request of King St. Stephen, to them the Christian Hungarians. Some pagans put him in a barrel and threw him bishop of the hill into the Danube.
A large statue that holds a cross in his right hand is on the north-east of the hill, facing the Elizabeth bridge. This statue commemorates the death of the bishop. Gellert Hill also has an important role in hydrological terms. An important part of Budapest's drinking water reserve is stored in a tank inside the hill. National Day of Hungary, the fireworks are launched from the hill.
Habsburgs best achieved strategic importance of Gellert Hill and built a hill top fortareaza suppressed after the 1848 revolution and war of independence. Cannon holes were located on hills and the river tooth. Citadel goal was to remind the Hungarian rebels who really ran the country. In those days, the Citadel was the most despised place in Budapest and Budapest Hungarians called it the Bastille.
The Habsburgs were taught a local council in the late nineteenth century and parts of it were destroyed in a symbolic manner. The Citadel then served several purposes, was closed, temporary shelter for the homeless, instead of a battery of anti aircraft and 60 years, the fort is one of the most important sights of Budapest. It's worth a visit to the top of the hill to the Citadel, especially dream view of the entire city. To enter the museum at the Citadel, is 300 forint fee, that is a little over one euro.
Statue of Liberty from Citadel
The enormous female statue is in front of the Citadel. It is so big that it can be seen from almost any part of town and in time became the symbol of the Hungarian capital. Statue of Liberty commemorates Hungary issued under Nazi oppression. They say the statue was thought to have in hand a sword, but until it was high hortist regime was replaced by the Communists, and they have replaced the sword with a palm leaf and a Soviet soldier statue was placed at the base.
Although all communist stalls have been demolished and moved to the outskirts of Park statues, the Statue of Liberty remained. Only the Soviet soldier at the base of the Statue of Liberty and the name of Red Army soldiers who died during the siege of Budapest have been removed. Nowadays, we can not imagine Budapest without Statue of Liberty.
Church of the cave on Gellert Hill
This church was born in a natural cave in 1926. Until the '50s, the only religious order that led the Hungarian church. This order derives its name from Paul, a third-century saint who lived in the Egyptian desert with just a raven for company. The raven brings half a slice of daily bread.
In the 50 communists were arrested and monks from the monastery, made him their leader and the church closed. In 1989 the church wall that was knocked down and latch it was reopened. Part of the wall can be seen at the cave entrance forming church. In the central chapel of the church you can see the statue of St. Paul with raven or shoulder.
Entry is free and the church is open from 8:00 to 19:00.
If you think that the photos or text published in this page infringes copyright laws please notify us using the Contact Page specifying the page url and the content that infringes copyright. Direct Booking uses third party materials and cannot control or verify the origin of the content. Direct Booking will remove any infringing copyright materials from its website and will inform the infringed party about doing so.