Govora Monastery - details and images
Govora monastery is an ancient monastic settlement, nestled in the foothills of Great Shopping on the commune Mihaesti, 6 miles from Bath Govora and 18 miles from the city of Ramnicu Valcea. Govora monastery is a convent of nuns dedicated to the Assumption, one of the oldest monasteries in the Romanian Country, and a medieval architectural monument of rare beauty.
The name of this monastery - Govora - comes from the Slavic word "gavariti", which translates to 'speak', "he says," or "spring", "whisper", or the Thracian-Dacian dialect, meaning "hollow" , a valley with many springs.
Raised partly in the fourteenth century and fifteenth-century reign of Vlad Dracul, Govora Monastery is one of the oldest monasteries in the Romanian Country. Being devastated by the Great Albu nobleman in the reign of Vlad Tepes (1448-1476), the monastery was rebuilt by Vlad the Monk and Radu the Great, between 1492-1496.
Between 1640-1645, the ruler Matei Basarab fully repair the monastery, in order to install the printing press which had given him, at his request, with all the craftsmen, Metropolitan scholar of Roman origin, St. Peter Knoll in Kiev.
Prince St. Constantin Brancoveanu by Hieromonk Paisie, Govora monastery abbot, is renovating and completing all the bell and monastic buildings on the left side and the north. The monastery complex was added in 1775.
On July 20, 1959, the communist regime, through an arbitrary act, change status Govora monastery, turning it into a monastery for nuns, the 21 nuns brought here from Valcea Bistrita Monastery, led by their abbess, Yevgenia Racovita (1959-1964).
Fully restored between 1958-1969, all Govora monastery suffered damage in the earthquakes of 1977 and 1986, then began another renovation.
Entering the monastery is under the bell tower, floors on four levels, with a height of approximately 15 meters and a wall thickness of about two meters. Polygon monastery is almost trapezoidal, with the length, the east-west axis of 60 feet, with sides measuring 67 meters west and the east 30 feet. The precinct is bordered by a strong outer wall, which are used as cells located rooms, and cellars surface. The cells are arranged on two levels, one raised and one ground floor, the latter being added in the nineteenth century.
Archaeological excavations conducted in and around the monastery, showed six expansion stages of the enclosure, in the mid-seventeenth century and typography Meletius Macedonian functioning.
Central church of the monastery, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, celebrated as the patron, "Assumption", as presented today, dates from the time of St. Constantin Brancoveanu. Built in the middle chamber in a plane clubs, having a single tower, located on the nave, the church has a brick cornice sawtooth-shaped. Outside the church is simple, painted white, decorated with median arm, composed of three equally thick moldings, painted.
Church nave is separated from the nave by a thick wall, which leaves a large opening in the middle. Open porch is supported by eight columns of carved stone. The iconostasis of the church is gilded linden wood, carved Brancoveanu style.
Church is worked in fresco painting in the famous style Brancovan being executed in the years 1711-1712, the School of painters belonging Hurez, as attested by the mural inscriptions preserved.
Icon of the Virgin Mary with Child, from Govora monastery, dating from around 1530. This icon, painted on the model called "Hodighitria", meaning "Indrumatoarea" is supposed to be one of the first icons painted in a local workshop. This representation of the Virgin Mary is the most common type of Byzantine iconography.
Icon from the Monastery Govora play with great accuracy a Byzantine model, as done in warm tones, of brown, ocher, green and dark red on a rich gold background. Lights shapes in shades drapery are open or marked with fine gold. Busts occur in the upper corners of the Archangels Michael and Gabriel.
The massive frame, the bottom, there was an inscription in Slavonic, which has helped to date the icon: "Dorotheus ... and ever Virgin Mary, was but a restoration removed the occasion. About Dorotheos known to have been abbot of the monastery Govora in the third decade of the XVI century, and thus play dating agreed in 1530. Conception and the treatment fit the style icon workshop belonging to a Greek school late.
Due to the printing press was given to the installation here at St. Peter Knoll Kiev Monastery Govora actually contributed to the promotion of culture of the Romanian people, for which he was to sign forever between the monasteries of culture in the country.
Between 1636-1642, the printing press from the Monastery Govora were printed: "Psalter" (in 1637), and other Slavonic service books, then "Little Rule" (1640) and "Rule of Govora" the first book in Romanian law, the monk translated from Slavonic Moxa. Mester was blessed Hieromonk Meletius Machedoneanu printer who came from Kiev, who later became abbot of the monastery Govora.
Monastery of the values of art Govora remember: a Epitrahil, given by Radu cel Mare, thread embroidery worked in silk and gold-silver (are decorated Jesus, Virgin Mary, St. John and other saints) Hodrighita icon of the Virgin; Grieving Mother of God icon, etc.
If you think that the photos or text published in this page infringes copyright laws please notify us using the Contact Page specifying the page url and the content that infringes copyright. Direct Booking uses third party materials and cannot control or verify the origin of the content. Direct Booking will remove any infringing copyright materials from its website and will inform the infringed party about doing so.