Hermitage Island - details and images

Ostrov is a monastery of monks and is located on an island in the hydroelectric reservoir on the Olt River Calimanesti being linked to health resort and climatic Calimanesti-Caciulata by a bridge, a distance of 5 km from railway halt Calimanesti-Jiblea. Church is rebuilt on the site of an old church in the fourteenth century or early fifteenth century, Neagoe, founded by his wife, Mrs. Despina.

Unpainted was consecrated to worship using the icons painted in the first phase, which are now in the Museum of Art. The altar was painted in 1752, the rest being church fresco style, a remarkable artistic value and was completed in 1760. Everything then was replaced and the old inscription inscription in Romanian text written in Cyrillic. A large interior architectural ornament, which has faced times, is "the golden temple, which dates from linden wood, right from the inception of the church. Royal icons are very old, some assumptions should be arguing that even the original. Icon of the Mother of God was restored in 1791 by John Painter.

On 22 December 1838 cells and existing buildings were destroyed by fire, was rebuilt on old foundations in 1940. Main restorations were made in the 1940s, 1956-1957, 1962-1963.
During his Neagoe remained three icons: St. Nicholas, Descent from the Cross and St. Sava, all of great artistic value, currently located in the Museum of Art.Since the sixteenth century until 1890, was Hermitage Island Hermitage nuns. In these sketches were his wife Neagoe veil, Ms. Despina, named Platonida, mother of Michael the Brave, who was named Teofana.

Calimanesti hydropower construction required that the church, along with the island, to be about 6 m high, not to be flooded, and rebuilt the abbey house. The whole ensemble is a beautiful island park resort recreational visitors Calimanesti-Caciulata which, among other "features", comprises a total of 47 species of trees, shrubs and roses.

Information source