La Madeleine Church - details and images

When the church began construction in 1764, architect Pierre Constant d'Ivry plans brought to the Dome of the Invalides. When d'Ivy died in 1777 his plans, which can still be seen in the Musée Carnavalet, have been reviewed by his successor, Martin Guillome Couture. He decided to demolish the unfinished building and start a new project, this time based on the Pantheon's design.

Construction was halted during the French Revolution until 1806 when Napoleon decided to raise a temple in honor of his army. He named Pierre-Alexandre Vignon responsible for this, and he once again knocked to the ground and began building a temple building inspired by the Maison Carree, an ancient Roman temple in the city of Nimes.

After high Arc de Triomphe, the French military honor, the new temple was in need of a new utility. Some suggestions included using the house as the seat of Parliament, the bank or even the train station. Finally, in 1842, the building was consecrated as a church, which continues to be today.

Not more than 52 Corinthian columns surrounding the temple, each with a height of 20 meters. The bronze bas-reliefs on the doors are the work of Henri de Triquet and represent the 10 Commandments. Architectural facade of the temple is meant to counterbalance the Bourbon Palace facade columns over the Seine.

Inside, behind the altar there is a statue representing the ascension of Mary Magdalene, which was built in 1837 by Charles Marochetti. The church organ was made by Cavaillé-Coll in 1846 and is used for concerts today.

Madeleine Church is situated in Place de la Madeleine, near the Opera Garnier and Place de la Concorde.

Information source