Oradea Fortress - details and images
As an architecture the fortress of Oradea comprised 12 bodies and 5 bastions, each bastion having a different name:
The Aurit bastion, facing the Pisica hill (Ciuperca), was built in 1572, becoming heavily affected by the Turkish sieges. In 1692 the Austrian siege seriously damaged the northern side of the bastion, and repairs were needed after both events.
The southwest-facing Bethlen Bastion was completed in 1618. For decades, the Bethlen Bastion was reinforced with earth and mud, being called the "Earth Bastion." Bethlen's name comes from Prince Gabriel Bethlen.
The Ciunt Bastion was started during the reign of Prince Ioan Sigismund and remained a good part of the weather, hence the name of the bastion. The only exact date existing on this bastion is the year of renovation, namely 1599.
The Crăișorul bastion was completed in 1570, with the Italian architect Giulio Cesare Baldigara as designer. Covered with a shaped stone wall, the eastern side remains unfinished, however, the "filling" that was composed of: river stones, tiles, bricks and fragments from other medieval constructions.
The Red Bastion was erected in several stages, being built during almost two decades - from 1580 to 1598. In 1660, during the Turkish siege, the eastern ear of the Red Bastion was blown up. The reconstruction of the bastion led to the strengthening of the wall, reaching almost a meter thicker than in the initial phase.
If you think that the photos or text published in this page infringes copyright laws please notify us using the Contact Page specifying the page url and the content that infringes copyright. Direct Booking uses third party materials and cannot control or verify the origin of the content. Direct Booking will remove any infringing copyright materials from its website and will inform the infringed party about doing so.