Piarist Church - details and images
Piarist Church, originally known as the Jesuit Church in Cluj, that the University Church, located at the University no. 5, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, is the first Catholic church built up in Transylvania after the Protestant Reformation, also the first edifice in baroque style in the province. It is one of the most important symbols in Cluj, a prototype for many other churches in Transylvania.
Place of worship has a strong contrast between monumental architecture and sober on the outside, and a well-decorated interior, almost exuberant, a jewel of Baroque style.
The church has two clock towers with a height of 45 meters each. Above the entrance is located three narrow windows, vertical, designed to help internal illumination of the building. The front door is decorated exceptionally (see photo) was placed above it a relief representing the Holy Trinity with the inscription "Honor SANCTISSIMAE Trinitas" (Latin - "IN HONOUR OF THE HOLY TRINITY"). The church has two entrances, located at the left, respectively right main entrance. They have over two saints - St. Ignatius of Loyola and St. Francis of Xaver, Bavarian sculptor works of Johannes König. Near the entry side were two other statues of St. John of Nepomuk and St. Alois of Gonzaga, also works by Johannes König.
In front of the church until 1959 was the Virgin Mary statue (statue Plague), the Communist authorities moved a monument behind St. Peter's Church in Cluj.
The balance between vertical and horizontal elements elansarea Jesuit Church in Cluj facade gives a sober look solemnly monumental emphasis placed on the entry holes, windows and niches are merely emphasize it.
The interior is in contrast with the simplicity of the exterior and is decorated very rich. The building has a single vessel, with a length of 45 meters and 24 meters wide. The ship left and right are three chapels, each decorated with altar and several paintings. On the walls of the church are the traditional plates of Roman Catholic devotional, written in the main languages used in Transylvania: Romanian, Hungarian, German and Latin.
The main altar in the choir is great. At the top is the Latin inscription "Magno Laus Deo trino an act virtus glory, framed between two angels. The altar is erected in honor of the Trinity. The altar is an icon painted on wood and coated in metal of the Blessed Virgin Mary, who in 1699 had complained for two weeks, as confirmed by the testimonies of several persons. It is assumed that the icon would be the original Nicula Monastery. Under it are the statues of two saints of the Jesuit Order: St. Francis and St. Ignatius, statues made in 1726 in Vienna.
The pulpit, the work of Anton Schuchbauer, the outside is decorated with relief carvings of the four evangelists, and the space between the pulpit and its crown is a relief to the most important saints of the Jesuits. The crown is a representation of the pulpit of St. Michael.
If you think that the photos or text published in this page infringes copyright laws please notify us using the Contact Page specifying the page url and the content that infringes copyright. Direct Booking uses third party materials and cannot control or verify the origin of the content. Direct Booking will remove any infringing copyright materials from its website and will inform the infringed party about doing so.