Royal Palace in Budapest - details and images
Located in the quaint hilltop Castle District of Buda Castle, the Royal Palace was inhabited by King Béla first time in the thirteenth century, after the Mongol invasion, turned into a fortress against future attacks. Over the next 700 years was the royal residence of many girls. Strategic location of Budapest, situated in the heart of Europe, on both banks of the Danube, the city offered to anyone leading a defensive position and potential control over the central valley.
The original palace was built in Gothic style continued to be extended for 300 years. The golden age was in the palace during the reign of King Matthias. It was totally destroyed in 1686 when the Habsburg army liberated Buda under Ottoman occupation.
The Habsburgs built a new palace, smaller, early baroque style of the eighteenth century. It was again damaged during the War of Independence in 1848. Next reconstruction nearly doubled the size of the palace took place late nineteenth century. A large wing was added in the rear. In 1945, the palace was the last place where German troops withdrew from Budapest before being defeated.
Reconstruction after the war revealed the foundations of the Gothic and Renaissance building. These styles have been reincorporated into the restoration of the palace which he did in Budapest to be a mixture of architectural styles.
Nowadays, the Royal Palace in Budapest, is home to three museums: the Museum of Budapest, the Hungarian National Gallery and the Museum of Contemporary Art.
If you think that the photos or text published in this page infringes copyright laws please notify us using the Contact Page specifying the page url and the content that infringes copyright. Direct Booking uses third party materials and cannot control or verify the origin of the content. Direct Booking will remove any infringing copyright materials from its website and will inform the infringed party about doing so.