Tailors Bastion - details and images

Bastion is one of the few fortified towers that were part of the Old City of Cluj which has been preserved intact until today. It was funded by the tailors' guild in Cluj. Each bastion (tower) of the medieval defense wall was financed by the other guilds (tailors, shoemakers, carpenters, Soapwort, wheelwrights, potters, masons, harness, etc.).

Bastion is the Southeast corner of the high medieval city from the fifteenth century (it is already mentioned in 1475). Between 1627-1629, during prince Gabriel Bethlen, the bastion was rebuilt, reaching its present form. It is built of massive stone retaining walls Folding places of drawing yet. To the north, sticking to him, he still retains a piece of stone wall with battlements on the wall and watch the road.

It was named after the tailors' guild in Cluj who had the obligation to maintain and guard the city at that point, the only bastion of the old city was preserved in full.

After the battle of Miraslau, Sask Baba Novac and the priest were caught, tortured and executed in the Transylvanian city of Cluj by the nobles. Near bastion was exposed in 1601, his body impaled Baba Novac's general Michael the Brave. In memory of Baba Novac was a statue erected in 1975, the work of sculptor Virgil Fulicea.

Bastion was restored in 1924 and turned into a museum by the Commission of Historic Monuments, another restoration took place in 1959. In the last decades has been left derelict bastion although there were representatives from the municipality declared intentions to use its tourism potential. However, in 2007-2009 and refuncţionalizat was restored and today it houses the Centre for Urban Culture, giving a literary café in the basement conference room and exhibition spaces.

Information source