Temple of Zeus - details and images
The construction of the temple of Zeus were carried out in sec III d. AD during the rule of Macedonian architect engaged to design Cossutius Roman temple. The temple was finished in 129 AD d. when an admirer of Greek culture, Hadrian, took over the works.
Temple of Olympian Zeus was built of marble brought from Mount Pentelus and measure 96 meters long and 40 meters wide. It consists of 104 Corinthian columns each having 17 meters height, 48 of them formed three columns, and 56 of them were placed in two columns. Until today, only 15 survived the poles, the last pillar fell during a storm in 1852.
Hadrian's temple dedicated to Zeus (known to the Romans as Jupiter), the god of gods. He erected a huge gold and ivory statue of Zeus, dedicated to adding one of which he placed it next to that of Zeus. None of them have been preserved. It is not known what time the temple was destroyed, but it is assumed that, like many other buildings in Greece, may have been destroyed during an earthquake in the Middle Ages.
Temple of Zeus can be visited every day between 08.00-19.30 hours Monday when it opened less than between 11:00 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. (closed on January 1st, March 25, Easter Sunday, May 1 and December 25.26)
Entry fee at the Temple of Zeus is EUR 4
Address: street or street Vassilisis Amalias Olgas
Metro: Line 2 (station Akropoli)
If you think that the photos or text published in this page infringes copyright laws please notify us using the Contact Page specifying the page url and the content that infringes copyright. Direct Booking uses third party materials and cannot control or verify the origin of the content. Direct Booking will remove any infringing copyright materials from its website and will inform the infringed party about doing so.