Tuileries Gardens - details and images

Initially, Italian style, created from the desire of Queen Catherine di Medici, the gardens were restored between 1660 and 1664, in typically French style, led by landscape architect Andre Le Notre, the famous gardener of King Louis XIV, surnamed Sun King .

Le Notre built a terrace along the Seine and opened a central axis that extended it three years later with the completion of the Champs-Elysees.

Tuileries Gardens were open to the public after the withdrawal of the Sun King at Versailles, one of Paris's main promenade places. Since the eighteenth century, the park had cafes, kiosks, benches and public toilets.

Recently renovated in 1990, Tuileries Gardens kept initial design created by Le Notre. The park was separated from car traffic and was enriched with many modern sculptures. In 1999 a bridge - for pedestrians only, has been built over the Seine, the Tuileries Gardens to join the Orsay Museum.

Park Tuilerie enjoy fountains, two large water tanks, numerous sculptures and two museums, Jeu de Paume National Gallery - a museum of modern art and photography-and Oranjeriei Museum, where you can admire the paintings of Claude Monet's water lilies. These two are the last remnants of the old buildings and magnificent Tuileries Palace.

Tuileries Palace History

Tuileries Palace was built starting in 1564, aiming widowed Queen Catherine to the place occupied by a factory where clay tile / brick - French tuilé tile is here and its name.

Developed and monarchs dropped steadily, eventually reaching the palace a huge facade of 266 m long and is home to many kings: Henry IV, Louis XIV, Louis XVI and Louis XVII, but also for the emperors Napoleon I and Napoleon III, to inteontionata destruction by fire in 1871. Its ruins were destroyed in 1882, today its reconstruction projects there. You can read more details on the official site of the Tuileries project.

1564 - Queen Catherine de Medici desire

Queen Catherine de Medici in 1564 bought land on which factories were brick, and a desire to create a new seat after the death of her husband, Henry II. Catherine asked its architects - Philibert Delorme replaced after his death by Jean Bull - to make plans for raising a west from the Louvre palace.

Original design was more ambitious than that will be completed: two large buildings parallel, perpendicular to the Seine, small meeting of four wings, with three courtyards. Only in the west building was built and was named the Tuileries Palace.

This building had a central pavilion above which was a dome provided with a ladder hanging on arcs, considered a masterpiece of the era. This flag was framed by two wings. South Wing ends with a pavilion, built in 1570, but the north wing was never completed.

In reality, Catherine de Medici, very superstitious by nature, not wanted to complete the Tuileries Palace in order not to live here. She moved into a hotel - Appointed Queen's Hotel, now Hotel Trade Exchange - which he built in 1574 near St. Eustachiu. Legend says that her astrologer has predicted that he would die Ruggieri near Saint-Germain, and is right next to the Tuileries palace church of Saint-Germain L'Auxerrois. Part of the story is strange that the priest was called to the head of the queen at her death, called Saint - Germain.

Tuileries Gardens at the time were Italian inspired gardens, to remember the Queen's Tuscan homeland.

Under the reign of King Charles IX, the palace site was abandoned. Henry III held here a few parties, but neither he actually lived.

1600s - while broadening the palace of King Henry IV

At the start XVII, King Henry IV sought to link the Louvre's Tuileries Palace by a gallery along the Seine. Meanwhile Tuileries palace was extended to the south by a wing called Little Gallery. This project was named the Grand Design.

Sun King and his contribution

Since 1610 - after the death of Henry IV - Tuileries was again abandoned until the reign of Louis XIV, who also built two pavilions and a gallery in hopes of balancing the palace architecture. And because it was not a common style architecture ordered reclaim its extensive, restoration ended with the seventeenth century. But the main residence was the Sun King's Versailles and the Tuileries lived only during construction of the new castle.

During the Ancient Regime, the main residents of the Tuileries were: Duchess of Montpensier - Miss Great, Louis XIV, Louis XV.

Eighteenth century - the Paris Opera and the Tuileries Palace

After 1728, the palace was occupied by the king's courtiers, artists and various persons retired from public life. Following a fire at the Royal Palace, Opera moved to the Tuileries Palace for seven years, until 1770 when he was moved in 1763 French comedy. Premiere of The Barber of Seville, of Beaumarchais, was held at the Tuileries in 1775.

French Revolution - the forced return of the kings at the Tuileries

In 1789, revolutionaries ousted in Versailles, Louis XVI, Marie Antoinette and their children forcibly installed in the Tuileries Palace, which begins as a glorious period of 80 years, during which time he was receiving and French leaders major theater events. In 1789 the Constituent Assembly moved from Versailles to the Tuileries in the biggest covered hall in Paris, Salle Manega.

In 1792, the royal family was banished from the palace, and the guillotine was installed in its eastern part. After almost a year here to install the Convention, and the palace has changed its name to the National Palace.

Napoleon Bonaparte and the Tuileries - Imperial Palace

First Consul Napoleon established residence here in 1800 and are accommodated in the king's old apartment - sleeping in a room where they slept and Ludovix XIV, Louis XV and Louis XVI.

After he proclaimed emperor, became the Tuileries Palace was redecorated in the new Imperials Neoclassical Empire, as architects Percier and Fontaine, who have achieved and the Arc de Triomphe du Carrousel, in 1806, imitating the Arch of Septimius Severus Rome to replace the old Palace entrance. In 1815 Napoleon board for the last time in the Tuileries Palace.

Restoration of the monarchy - the royal palace again Tuileries

The palace was inhabited by Louis XVIII, the only king who died at the Tuileries, and his brother Charles X century revolutionaries deposed here in 1830. Uninhabited by anyone for some time, the Palace became the residence of Louis Philippe, at the urging of brushing Casimir, who wanted to restore the prestige of old monarchy. Louis Philippe lived before the Palais Royale.

Revolution of 1848 - Palace vandalism

Revolutionaries from 48 vandalize Tuileries Palace. Balcescu Nicholas himself, who was in Paris at the time, broke a piece of velvet from the throne of Louis Philippe and sent a friend's piece and the U.S., Alecsandri. For a brief period, the palace became a place for the care of war invalids, and again at the official residence.

Napoleon III and the Second Empire

Last Tuileries Palace's heyday was during the reign of Napoleon III, who restored, enlarged and united - finally - to the Louvre (1870). Together, the two buildings constitute the largest and most majestic building in Europe. Napoleon came here from the Elysees Palace, current residence of French presidents. The new style renovation of the palace - projecting roofs with wide cornices - called Second Empire was adopted by Britain and America.

Fire in 1871 and demolished in 1883 - the disappearance of the Tuileries Palace

On 23 May 1871, the Palace on fire by a group of several people led by Bergeret and Boudin and left to burn for 3 days to extinguish the fire. They took a cold meal on the terrace at the Louvre and contamplau fire. On May 27 remained no more than scraps of blackened walls.

Since 1872, many Frenchmen - including Haussmann, Lefuel, Viollet-le-Duc - have fought to restore the palace in full or, at least partially. But a Senate committee in 1876 introduced the idea of demolition of the palace ruins. After long dispute, the Chamber of Deputies has decided, in 1879, demolition, which was put into practice in 1883. In place of the former royal and imperial palace, today's left only a small information panel noted by very few tourists.

There is a replica of the Tuileries Palace in the courtyard on rue du Faubourg-Montmartre.

Tuileries Palace Legend

It is said that a butcher was killed near the palace of Catherine de Medici order because she knew too many secrets of the royal. Upon death, he would have said: 'I shall return! " and his corpse disappeared without a trace. From this time began his appearances. The first was in front of Queen's astrologer, Ruggieri, which revealed that all inhabitants of the palace will be haunted by the ghost of bad luck and will disappear once the palace. Known as Little Red at the Tuileries, the haunted palace and his appearances announced nenoricire always great: He appeared to Queen Marie Antoinette before the fall of the monarchy by Napoleon before the Battle of Waterloo, Louis XVIII's brother and or a few days before King's death. It is said that during the 1871 fire, the little red figure was seen at the Tuileries for the last time in the right of a window.

Information source