Vosges Square (Place des Vosges) - details and images

The history of this market dates from 1604 when King Henry IV had built a royal pavilion in the southern market. The building was designed by Baptiste du earrings. The king ordered that all 35 buildings around the market to follow the same characteristics. The result is an early example of urban development plan, is a symmetric market, surrounded by red brick building, white stone facades, arches and steep slate roofs.

Royal Pavilion in the center of the southern part was built over a gate. In the north, opposite the Royal Pavilion Pavilion is Queen.

Before the 17th century, there was another important building in the northern part of the market: Hôtel de Tournelles. This building was built in 1388 and was the residence of the royal family until 1559, when King Henry II was seriously wounded during a tournament held nearby. He died ten days later at the Hôtel de Tournelles, and his wife, Catherine de Medici ordered the demolition of the building and moved to the Louvre.

Market was officially opened in 1612 as the "Place Royale". In those days there was more than a grass lawn, but it was a favorite place for duels. In 1639, Richelieu ordered an equestrian statue of King Louis XIII in the middle market. The statue was destroyed during the French Revolution, but a new statue of Louis XIII was brought here in 1825.

In 1800, Napoleon changed his name from the market in the Place des Vosges Place Royale to show their gratitude to the administrative division of the Vosges, the first department of France that he paid taxes. He was again named the Place Royale in 1815, that name in 1870 to return to the Place des Vosges.

Many French people realize you have lived there. Among them are Richelieu and Victor Hugo. Cardinal Richelieu, who became prime minister of France in 1624 he lived at number 21 from 1615 until 1627. Victor Hugo, author of the novel "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" lived on the second floor of the house at number 6, "Hôtel de Rohan-Guéménée" from 1832 until 1848. The building, now called the Maison de Victor Hugo "is now a museum. You can visit the rooms where Victor Hugo wrote much of "Les Miserables" - Les Miserables - one of his books by her bedside. This can be seen souvenirs, drawings and books, in chronological order, from childhood to exile the years 1852-1870.

Place des Vosges is now a quiet, central, surrounded by cafes and shopping arcades. The market is located in the historic Marais arrondissement cariterul 3, not far from Place de la Bastille.

Information source